Early season upsets littered the 2012 Brisbane International. As the tour shifts to Sydney, top seed Caroline Wozniacki looked like she might fall victim to the upset bug. Instead, the world #1 came back from down 0-4 in the third set to defeat Dominika Cibulkova, 7-5 2-6 6-4.
Li Na and Petra Kvitova also advanced after harder than expected second round matchups. I admit, after Li Na lost the first set to qualifier Chanelle Scheepers, I thought oh no, here we go again with Li Na, another inexplicable loss. But she pulled her game together to dismiss Scheepers, 2-6 6-4 6-1. Potential future #1 Petra Kvitova also had to go the distance to oust Alexandra Dulgheru, 7-5 3-6 6-4. Luckily, the tournament didn’t lose the name recognition of Caroline Wozniacki, Li Na and 2011 WTA Player of the Year Petra Kvitova on the same day and in the second round.
Singles – Second Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 75 26 64
(2) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (LL) Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) 75 36 64
(3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 64 62
(4) Li Na (CHN) d. (Q) Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 26 64 61
(7) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. Andrea Petkovic (GER) 75 64
(8) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (WC) Jelena Dokic (AUS) 60 63
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 75 61
Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 61 20 ret. (heat illness)